Friday, February 3, 2012

Beekeeping and Honey Harvesting

My host dad has two families of bees.  (Pictured below with my host niece, Leontina)




At first this made me a little nervous . . . Nobody likes bee stings, but I have yet to be stung and I have eaten LOTS of delicious honey.  So far, so good.  : )

I got to help with the honey harvesting this year and last year and had a lot of fun.  

Step 1:  Remove about half of the honey frames from each stoop.  (You have to leave the bees enough for the winter.)


Step 3:  Wipe the bees clinging to the frame from the frame.  




Step 2:  Remove the beeswax that covers the honeycombs.




Step 3:  Place the honey in a spinner which extracts the honey using centrifugal force to extract the honey.




Step 4:  Strain the honey to remove wax and other debris.

Step 5:  ENJOY.



I think I might even try my hand at beekeeping in the States.  : )  (Thanks for the book, Brad!)



No comments:

Post a Comment